Hot Summer Style
Ladies, forget throwaway fashion…so last season. We asked Sam Withall, owner of Sam Brown Boutique in the West End, what’s hot fashion-wise for summer 2014.
Sam organised the fantastic fashion shows held at Chester last month and is our unofficial style expert!
Here are her top tips for cool summer dressing:
- 1990’s style slip dresses: Ok so we don’t want to feel as if we left the house in our underwear but this look is surprisingly wearable. Spaghetti straps are elegant when the sun shines, and slip dresses are now made in much nicer materials than they were in the 90s…dress up with heels or down with trainers and a comfy cardigan.
- Colourful biker jackets: You’ve worn your black leather biker to death and are hankering after something more cheery – step forward the coloured biker. Available in a range of rainbow hues from pastels to Crayola-brights.
- Wide-leg trousers: Katherine Hepburn and Lauren Baccall knew a thing or two about flattering trousers 1940s-style…the wider, the better. Super-flattering and leg lengthening, just make sure the hem is long enough to cover at least half of your shoe heel.
- Embellishment: If you look as if you covered your jumper in glue and then rolled in sequins and crystals, you’re bang on. Bling is back, if it ever left. 3-D embellishments are also big this summer…get crafty and hand-sew your own for a unique look.
- Country garden: Floaty and flirty feminine dressing is the prettiest ever this summer. From pastel lace pencil skirts and floral dresses to fluffy cropped cardigans, you’ll be the belle of the picnic.